Monday, January 7, 2013

The Ride of the Pale Horse

Monday, January 7, 2013
Greetings, my faithful readers!  


Today's subject is something rather unpleasant, yet romantic and eerily beautiful.
Death.
*Shivers!*
In many of the books I read, my favourite characters have a habit of dying. It bothers me. Now, I know that everyone can't live happily ever after, but honestly, does every amazing character have to ride the pale horse? 
 In the final installment of the Hunger Games series, almost every character died or had a unfavourable ending. *SPOILERS* ( I know you just read that in River Song's voice) Finnick was decapitated! Prim was blown sky-high! I was definitely upset.
Now in the "Book Thief" by Markus Zusak, there are deaths, but they were acceptable and understandable, not excessive. I was sad, but I approved.
Unfortunately (or fortunately for my characters), I have a very hard time letting go of my characters. I have to decide very early on that they are going to die. If I don't, I'll become too attached and they will live on forever.
So to all my readers... what is YOUR take on character death? What is your best advice to writers that are too attached to characters? Comment and share your thoughts! 


-Lolita Alaine 

0 comments:

Post a Comment